Just when you thought you have done enough of house cleaning and maintenance work, the rain pours and you realise you haven’t cleaned your gutters in a while. Removing leaves and other debris from the gutter should be on every homeowner’s maintenance list.
A lot of homeowners know the importance of regular gutter cleaning, and yet they avoid doing it when they can. But why wait until you see the damage before you start climbing up that ladder and removing dirt and debris from your gutter?
While cleaning gutters can be considered as one of the most dreaded chores, it is not an arduous task to do. Being the handyman that you are, you could make use of some helpful products and tools to unclog your gutters. In addition, employing a certain technique or following a step-by-step guide will make it easier and safer for you to do.
Simple techniques to making gutter cleaning safe and successful
- Gather all your equipment and safety gear. Make sure you have everything you need. The most common tools needed are a sturdy ladder to ensure safety when going up and down, a pair of gloves to protect your hands, and a scoop or spatula to remove the debris.
- Always put safety first. Avoid going up and down the ladder when you can. Use safety equipment such as gloves and a harness if possible, and wear non-slip shoes.
- Save time. Spare yourself additional work by using a bucket or container to dump the debris in instead of dumping the dirt on your lawn or on the ground below. Before you start cleaning the gutter, you should first rake or sweep the leaves off the roof as the wind and rain will wash these down the gutter, filling it up again.
- Use the right tools. You may use your gloved hand to pull out the larger debris and a scoop or spatula to remove the smaller ones. A scraper can be used for hard-to-remove dirt.
- Flush the gutters. Once you have removed all the debris, sweep the bottom of the gutter with a brush. Flush the gutters and downspouts with water to clear them of any dirt left behind.
However, for the not-so-handy homeowners, it would of course be best to ask help from experts. Schedule regular gutter cleaning services to keep your home protected and to save you from spending on expensive renovation and repair. Always remember, prevention is better than cure.