You’ve probably spent hours on the internet reading posts and watching videos about landscaping. You’ve also already had your fill of photos to serve as your inspiration and guide. Does this mean that you can now embark on a DIY landscaping project on your lawn?
The answer is yes and no. With your stock knowledge, you will certainly be able to design a suitable landscape, know what features and items to buy and use, and which plants you should cultivate. But this can only take you so far.
If you want to have a really beautiful, functional, and eye-catching (even breathtaking) landscape where everything is in its place and complements each other, handling the work alone won’t be enough. You have to hire the professionals.
To ensure all your money and effort won’t go to waste when hiring landscaping contractors to design your yard, take the time to choose the right pros that have these qualities:
- A keen sense of professionalism. This particular trait stretches among various elements. The landscaping company’s staff should be well-mannered and trained to commit to the highest level of good customer service. The landscaping team must also turn up on time, and if they have been held up, they will give you a ring. It should also be easily noticeable that the company has a tidy and easily identifiable crew. From the fleet to the uniforms, all of these should be a direct reflection of the company’s level of professionalism.
- Good communication skills. Landscaping contractors have to be able to communicate well. The team leader should know how to clearly and completely explain the landscaping project and make sure you are comfortable with the plan. Also, you should always be informed about every update and snag related to the project.
- Detail-oriented. This quality can be initially seen if the landscaper supplies you with detailed and accurate figures — not just general, off-the-internet ones. Quotes like this will give you a clear picture of the quality of services they offer and what you should allow for any unexpected costs that may arise. In addition, creating the right landscape involves a lot of minute points; as such, it is crucial for a landscaping contractor to be very detail-oriented.
- Teeming with positive recommendations. Ask the landscaper for a list of their clients. Check if they have photos of their projects and look at them. If you have the time, visit the clients and with their permission, take a look at their properties. You can also ask them questions about the contractor’s reliability, punctuality, quality of work, and communication.
- Environmentally responsible. Finally, the landscaper you hire should make use of sustainable landscape irrigation designs and observe drought-tolerant plantings. These are quite important to consider if you live in Darwin, Brisbane, Perth, and other areas in Australia that enjoy warm climates most of the year. Find out if they use organic fertilisers, mulch, and other supplies so that you can have an environment-friendly lawn.
Although it may require additional work on your part, hiring a landscaping contractor that possesses these key qualities will help you have a landscaped yard that won’t fail to impress anyone.