Gutters play an important role in maintaining the structural integrity and longevity of roofs. They collect water that lands on the roofs from rains or storms and direct the collected water away from the house. A gutter system is crucial to help reduce water and moisture damage to one’s home.
Protecting Your Gutters
An easy way to provide protection to your gutter and to keep them intact and functional for a long time is to invest in gutter guards.
Gutter guards, also known as gutter protection systems, permit rain water to enter your gutter and, at the same time, keep leaves, pests, and other unwanted debris out. Without sufficient protection, leaves and debris can create a blockage I your gutter and, eventually, the downpipes.
To remove these blockages and prevent further damage on your gutter, you will need to clean them regularly as well. The right type of gutter guards can help you avoid these issues.
Gutter guards offer the following specific benefits:
- They effectively keep out leaves, twigs, seeds, and other types of debris that fall from the trees.
- They help prevent the fascias from rotting and the paint on your gutter from peeling.
- They reduce the risk of mould and mildew growth, particularly in cities that have the highest average number of rainfall such as Darwin, Sydney, and Brisbane.
- They protect your gutter and home from small pests such as rodents, birds, and even snakes that can nest in the gutter system.
- They can provide protection to your home from bushfires – something that occurs regularly throughout Australia.
Another noteworthy reason why you should consider having gutter guards is to avoid the difficult chore of cleaning your gutter system. The need to clean gutters can often put your safety in serious jeopardy. Each year, hundreds of people fall from ladders while trying to clean their gutters. Unfortunately, some of these falls are fatal.
Choosing the Best Gutter Protection System for Your Home
Gutter guards come in different types. In terms of materials, they can be made of plastic or polyethylene, aluminium, stainless steel, and Colorbond.
To make sure you invest in the right gutter guard system, you have to consider some important factors.
First, consider your roof material, the type of structure or building you have, the roof’s design, and your location.
You should then make sure the system you will choose is effective – it should keep unwanted debris and pests out yet still allow water to flow through the roof’s channel efficiently.
Gutter guards have to be cleaned regularly as well. Make sure you choose a system that is easy to clean or maintenance-free.
Lastly, consider its price. It has to be one that suits your needs and budget.